I work with women. I want to know what they’re concerned about. So while I’m at Barnes and Noble, why not look at the article titles in the magazine section labeled:
- 78 Ways To Turn Him On
- Hair Winners
- Fab New Vibrators
- What’s Sexy Now! – 85 Secret Tricks to Head Turning Confidence
- 1-2-3 Abs
- Budget Weddings
- Eat More, Weigh Less
- Bikini Confidence – Shrink Your Thighs and Butt – In Days
- Healthy Skin Now – Natural Ways to Lose Lines, Dark Circles and Dullness
- Feel Your Best – 10 Days to Boost Energy, Inner Confidence and Outer Radiance
- Weight Watchers
- Juicy – 1st Annual Hot Bodies Issue
- Dress To Perfect Your Shape – Find Clothes That Make You Instantly Slimmer and Sexier
These are a small portion of similar titles in magazines that were lined up behind the first row of mags and above the bottom shelf. No wonder there’s an epidemic of eating disorders, cosmetic surgery, and negative body image feelings.
I’m speechless and sad and angry at the information being fed to women. Granted, none of us has to read the magazines…and I didn’t. But our world is inundated with those messages. I’m driving and see a billboard with a picture of a woman’s torso that had a Scarlett O’Hara size waist and a virtually sunken stomach. The message – I could have that bod’ non-surgically if I went to some company for their non-invasive body-fixing treatments. Well, so much for being speechless.
Women-What ARE You Interested In?
Tell me in the comments what you’re interested in besides rolling around in a maid’s outfit (snark to Arnold) and satisfying the man in 78 different ways before you go to the gym for hours of work-out, deprive yourself of food you like, get procedures to fix-up your body and spend oodles of money on hair products. Not sure when there’s time for children, work or fun but hey, the false beauty image calls.
Again, would like to hear an interest you have that was not included on the magazine rack.